Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Let the Training Begin

First of all, Hal Higdon is a slave driver. Running six days a week? Who does this? Does he know how hot it is in Alabama in September? Maybe he can come run with me through downtown Birmingham after dark so that I don't have to run with my pistol in the band of my Nike shorts? Why did I decide to run a half marathon? Who does that??

These were a few of the thoughts running through my head during the 12 week training program. Every day I would show up to the office with my running bag, wait for everyone to leave for the night, change in the bathroom, do some crunches on the floor of the main lobby, and head out. It's funny the people you see every day while running who become "friends" even though you never speak. Like the guy in the projects who sits outside his front door blaring his boombox and wishing each passerby a "blessed day". If he's gone my run feels a bit off. Or the security guard who stands under the bridge on Morris Ave who gets a huge kick out of scaring runners half to death by stepping out from behind a pole just as you pass him.

Over the course of twelve weeks I began to run faster, farther and remembered how much I loved running. I found a website that lists all of the half marathons in the USA by month and state and decided on the Music City Marathon in Nashville, TN. It was time to see if I could finish what I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment